“Taroko” in the aboriginal Truku language means “magnificent and beautiful”, and it definitely lives up to its name. Taroko Gorge is equated with the Grand Canyon of the east. It towers over the Liwu River beneath it and spans across 20 kilometers of vertical cliffs, with an elevation of 3,700 kilometers at its tallest which is almost flat walls are a true marvel to view. This nature phenomenon is the result of thousands of years of marble uplifting and river erosion, and there are many trails in the national park to experience its beauty.
One of the most magnificent hikes will definitely be Zhuilu old trail. In 1917, the Japanese forced the aboriginal people to widen the path to 1.5 meters for the passage or carrying of artillery; those workers had to tied their waists with ropes and hung down from the top of the cliff for construction. You can imagine the hardship and the danger they were encountered.
Duo to the geographical environment and legal factors, the restoration of ancient roads is extremely difficult and precipitous, and many sections have collapsed. Therefore, there is only 3.1 km of the trail is open to visiters currently.
The majority of the trail is uphill and consists of beautiful forest with a handful of river crossings and stunning mountain views mixed in. Finally, the views during the last 500 meter of the trail makes it all rewarding as you will appreciate the majority of the cliff in person. The Old Zhuilu Road was an important connection between ancient Truku aboriginal villages, originally it was only 30cm wide, barely enough for two feet side by side. In 1917, the Japanese conscripted local indigenous men to expand the trail width to 1.5m.
Start your adventure with Uniquefun for this one-of-a-kind experience!
|Market Price||1,399 NTD|
|Sale Price||1,199 NTD|
|Sale Price with extra services||Extra services:
1.Free transportation within Hualien City
|Note: Additional fee may occur or not available for transportation outside of Hualien City|
06:00 – 07:00 am (Depends on seasonal condition and traffic control in Taroko national park)
About 5~8 hours, subject to situational conditions.
- Transfer service within Hualien City
- Assembly at Uniquefun HQ (No transfer service beyond Hualien City)
- Assembly at Zhuilu old trail entrance
|Duration||Schedule Note: for reference, actual itinerary may vary.|
|Appr. 60 min||Pick up transfer to Taroko visitor center|
|Appr. 15 min||Taroko visitor center to Zhuilu suspension bridge|
|Appr. 60 min||Hiking from Zhuilu suspension bridge to Badagang Police Station Relics|
|Appr. 60 min||Zhuilu cliff edge rest area snacks|
|Appr. 150 min||Return to trailhead|
|Appr. 60 min||Return transfer to Hualien City|
- Suitable for ages 6 and above.
- 6 – 12 years old requires accompanying parents.
- Parent agreement is compulsory for age under 18.
- Due to safety measures, please ensure that you’re in physically good health. This activity is not suitable for participants with prevailing heart conditions, chronic illnesses, cardiovascular diseases, asthma, epilepsy and pregnancy. Please do not register.
Due to the unique characteristics of the Old Zhuilu Road, entrance is limited to 96 persons on weekdays and 156 persons on weekends and holidays. Visitors are required to apply for a park entry permit and a mountain entry permit. If a typhoon or other natural disaster occurs, the trail will be closed and permits for the closed period will be automatically invalidated. Please apply for a new permit once the trail is reopened.
Taroko National Park Entry Information:
- The application for admission to the Zhuilu Old Trail is due one month before departure, the application process takes about one week. If the application unsuccessful, you will be notified a week before departure.
- Entrance is limited to 96 persons on weekdays and 156 persons on weekends and holidays. If the reservation has been completed but the quota is full, we will provide a full refund!
- If it is cancelled due to safety concerns, you will be notified within 24 hours before departure and receive refund after deducted insurance fee and administration fee.
- Activity may be altered due to participants/ equipment situations and weather conditions, to deliver a safe and satisfying experience to all participants.
- Do not venture off to difficult terrains without guidance to prevent any accidents.
- If there is a bad weather during the expedition, please follow the instructions of the coach and leader.
- Always stay together as a team and assist others, do not venture off on your own.
- For unforeseen factors such as typhoons, earthquakes or downpours, Uniquefun reserves the right to defer or cancel a scheduled tour.
- Changes due to unforeseen factors will be notified via phone calls.
Zhuilu Old Trail Specific Individual Preparation:
- Please bring legal photo ID for entry permit inspection, or valid student ID card.
- Please wear sensible hiking attire and shoes.
- You may bring along small backpack (waterproof or bring a cover), hiking shoes, raincoat (heavy rain), umbrella (light rain), drinking water (2L) , snack, long sleeve clothing, hats, small towels, gloves, sunscreen, do not wear perfume (to prevent bees).
- Do not bring valuables.
- Please do not book your departure train ticket before 4pm since the leaving time from Zhuilu old trail is according to customer’s physical condition.
- This day tour visits Zhuilu old trail only with other customers, if you wish to see more trails in one day or seeking for private tour, please consider other day tours.
- Entry permit application
- Free Hualien City area pick up service. Check your B&B is within the transfer area.
- 2 million NTD travel insurance / 200,000 NTD medical insurance
- Tour guide
- Assistance for photographs
- For English service, please call 3 days in advance for arrangement, no additional fees required (you may tip the international volunteers for language services)
- Permit fee(NT.200/adult, NT.100/student)
- Unlisted transportation service
- Personal expenses
Possible Cancellation Factors:
Tour itinerary may be altered or cancelled, subject to the weather conditions and National Park Authority instructions.
|To the date of Event||Refund|
|Cancel 8 days prior||Full Refund|
|Cancel 3 – 7 days prior||Incurring 20% administration fee|
|Cancel 2 days prior||Incurring 50% administration fee|
|Cancel 1 day prior or on the day||No Refund|
|Cancellation due to unforeseen factors initiated by the company||Full Refund|
CHANGE OF BOOKING TERMS
- Your booking can be changed 6 days prior to departure (excluding departure date). However, a change can be made only once and is limited to activities from the same organizer.
- If there is subsequent price differences, Uniquefun will refund or request for payment.
- Cancellation is not accepted for rescheduled booking.
- No changes accepted on the day of activity.